Next October 9th and 10th, international academics, researchers, policy makers and civil society representatives will gather at the Institut d’études européennes of the Université libre de Bruxelles for a series of roundtable discussions on the findings of the Horizon 2020 project “European Legitimacy in Governing through Hard Times: the role of European Networks” (ENLIGHTEN).
Over the course of 36 months, a consortium of four world-class universities and four leading non-academic partners has produced early stage research summaries, scientific articles, a jointly edited volume, policy papers, an online video documentary as well further teaching material including a dictionary of European modes of governance.
The ENLIGHTEN Final Forum: “Learning the lessons from the fast-burning crisis & challenging the policy blindspots feeding the slow-burning crises,” will follow the format of the Agora Fora.
The discussion is timely since, in the context of the European Semester, national governments must submit their Draft Budget Plans by October 15th.
A democratic approach to research
AGORA Fora’s overarching aim is to improve policy making by fostering suggestions based on academic research and effective dialogue among a limited number of experts.
By fostering two-way interactions between academic research and policy-making, AGORA Fora seek to:
1. Provide the research community with rapid and targeted feedback from policy actors working in their field of inquiry.
2. Make the policy implications of recent research more tangible and better communicate these to the relevant practitioners.
Each of the four roundtable is framed by a research findings’ summary including their policy implications. Background notes will be provided to you prior to the forum.
- Roundtable 1: “The Sustainability of European Semester Governance: The devil is in the details,” on October 9th, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Roundtable 2: “The Sustainability of European Labour Market(s): Breaking Free from Competitive Divergences,” on October 9th, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Roundtable 3: “The sustainability of Europe’s financial governance: From an Efficiency to a Legitimacy Challenge,” on October 10th, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Roundtable 4: “The Sustainability of Housing and Health Policies in Europe: The Short-term Impact of Austerity, The Long-term Impact of Demographic Change”, on October 10th, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.